Cairns is the gateway to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef (GBR). It is a laid back city in Queensland. And is best enjoyed outdoors. It is on the East Coast of Australia. It experiences a tropical climate. The city plays a huge role in Australia’s tourism economy and is one of the most popular destinations for all tourists.
How to get there?
- Cairns international airport is about 7 kilometres from Cairns CBD.
- There are frequent flights between Cairns and Sydney. The flight duration between the two airports is around 3 hours. The providers are Jetstar, Tigerair, Virgin Australia and Qantas.
- Tigerair provides the budgeted option for flights.
Where to stay?
- Cairns has variety of options catering for backpackers to the luxury travellers, ranging from AUD 25 to AUD 850.
- The budgeted option is to stay at YHA Cairns, which costs about AUD 25 per person in a dorm.
Things to do
There are plenty of things to do in Cairns. As I said earlier, Cairns is best enjoyed outdoors.
- Top of my list is definitely scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef. I booked my scuba diving tour with Visit Cairns who in turn booked it with CDC Dive centre. The dive tour costed me AUD 169. Read my full scuba diving experience in my post – The Big Blue World, Corals, Fishes and the Sharks.
- Visiting one of the oldest rain forests in the World – The Daintree rainforest. It is the largest tropical rainforest in Australia.
- Visiting Port Douglas. It is the mecca for diving and snorkelling. Port Douglas is about 1 hour drive from Cairns.
- Taking Reef cruises and glass bottom boats – It is definitely worth taking the cruises to visit various reefs and enjoying the coloured corals through the glass bottom boats.
How many days are required?
The minimum number of days required to explore Cairns is definitely three to four days. Anything less than that is very less as the flights itself takes about 6 hours to and from Cairns.
© 2017 Raksha Nagaraj All Rights Reserved. Reproduction, or re-transmission, in whole, or in part, or in any manner, without prior written consent of the author, is in violation of the copyright law.