Let me start this post by saying that I loved this beautiful city of canals. The city was lively, beautiful and never slept and that’s what I loved about this city. Even though I had taken a very long flight from Australia to Europe, I did not for once stay back at the hostel when I was in Amsterdam. I absolutely loved walking around and exploring all small little corners of the city. So, this post is to provide as much information about my travel within Amsterdam.
Note: Almost everyone speaks English in Amsterdam and there is absolutely no language problems.
There are good connectivity of trains around the city – even from the airport. The 3 days pass costed 28 Euros and I could use them on trains, buses, ferries and trams. The tickets must be checked in and out before entering and exiting the platforms.
Where did I stay?
I stayed at a hostel called Shelter city in the Red Light District. My detailed views of all the hostels I stayed around Europe is in the post here.
I recommend trying:
- Pan cakes
- Mannekenpis fries – I personally did not like it but it is one of the must eats in Amsterdam. Note: These fries are fried in animal fat, so vegetarians beware.
- Hot chocolate
Tip: Ensure to book the museum tickets well in advance to avoid long queues.
- Tour to Zaanse Schans, Edam, Volendam and Marken
- Over the edge swing at A’DAM
- Walk around Red Light District
- Visit museum of prostitution
- Visit Rijksmuseum
- Flight tickets – (AUD 712.71) 437.53 Euros
- Train Tickets 3 day pass – 28 Euros
- Train ticket 1 hour pass – 3.95 Euros
- Taxi – 22.5 Euros
- Hostel – 97.30 Euros
- Advance for hostel – (AUD 26) 15.95 Euros
Things to do
- Anne Frank museum – 15.5 Euros
- Canal boat ride – 11 Euros
- Guided tour for church – 9 Euros
- Cannabis museum – 9 Euros
- Museum of Prostitution – 12.5 Euros
- A’DAM Swing with regular ticket – 17.5 Euros
- Bus tour – (AUD 48.16) 29.57 Euros
- Magic Show – 22 Euros (I did not end up going unfortunately)
- Red light district walking tour – (AUD 5.81) 3.57 Euros
- Chocolate cake – 6.70 Euros
- Dinner and breakfast at Indian restaurant (Ganesha Indian) – 21.50 Euros
- Coffee – 3 Euros
- Lunch – 12.5 Euros
- Waffle * 2 – 8 Euros
- Hot chocolate – 2 Euros
- Pasta – 23 Euros
- Dinner at 29 Spices Indian restaurant – 25 Euros
- Fries – 2.5 Euros
- Waffle and cake – 11.5 Euros
- Tips – 2 Euros
- Souvenirs – 20 Euros
- Lock – 4 Euros
- SIM card – 60 Euros
Total Expenses = 936.57 Euros (AUD 1525.61)
I am sure everyone will have a great time in this city as there are so many things to do and see. So enjoy!
Follow #rakssabbaticaldiaries2019 and #solopassport for stories of my career break and travels.