Earlier this month, I wrote an Instagram post about this. And I am so glad that some of you reached out to me appreciating the post and acknowledging that that was the biggest challenge that you thought while solo traveling. Since many of my blog readers are not on Instagram, I decided to pen the post on my blog as well, so people can refer when they want to.
Background for writing the tips was that while I was backpacking in Europe, some of the fellow travelers were curious to know how I was taking/who were taking my pictures as I was solo traveling. They wanted to know how they can take such pictures. So some of the tips and tricks that I use while taking pictures are:
- I carry a light and portable tripod for my phone. There is no particular model that I recommend as I just ordered a tripod that was compatible with my iPhone XR. By carrying a tripod, I take my own pictures the way I want and I don’t have to compromise depending on how the pictures are taken by others.
- If I am being lazy and I do not want to assemble my tripod, I use props such as my bag, jacket or even rocks/stones on the roads. I try to use any resource that is available to me at that moment.
- I am shameless for pictures and I ask strangers. I ask anyone passing by and generally people oblige to the requests. Yes, there are people who refuse and can be rude, but that’s fine, I ask the next person. I find refusal better than taking bad uninterested pictures. I position my camera and explain to them where I would stand and all they need to do is click the button. I basically use them as a tripod/stand. This is a hit and a miss. Most times (for me who do not like compromises) it is generally a miss. But that’s okay, all you need to do is calm down and ask another stranger to take a picture.
- I take the initiative and ask other strangers (mostly tourists) if they wanted a picture (solo if traveling alone, couple if there are two people and family if there are more than two). This way they always return the favour.
- If none of the above work, then I take the selfie. I do not like selfies much, but it is better than no picture.
So, theses are the things that I do to take good pictures. Do try them and let me know how they go. I would love to hear.
Follow #rakssabbaticaldiaries2019 and #solopassport for stories of my career break and travels.