Why did I start SoloPassport?
“Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport!“
SoloPassport was created with a simple aim of showcasing my solo travel experiences and photographs taken along my travel journey. But today, SoloPassport has grown beyond just sharing pictures and talking about my travels. It has become a voice of an Indian female solo traveler, trying to influence other female travelers in taking a step into solo traveling.
About the founder
Welcome to my website SoloPassport! My name is Raksha Nagaraj and I’m the founder, blogger and social media influencer behind SoloPassport. I am an Indian girl, based out of Australia, trying to make my dreams come true. My passions are travel, hike, scuba dive and art. Most of my content are a blend of all these passions. I am also a feminist who wants to voice out my opinions and believes and hopes to make a change in bringing in equality among genders. Read About me page for more.
I have varied interests and passions. I mainly solo travel and love adventurous travels. From sky diving and bunjee jumping to scuba diving with sharks, I have time and again loved being involved in adrenaline sports.
My passions are mainly divided into fours parts:
Stay up to date with my travels, hikes and dives. Enter your email address and subscribe!
I am an avid traveler who has traveled to 40 countries on 5 continents till date. Even though I have enjoyed traveling in 40 countries, I have particularly loved traveling in India and Australia. I am truly blessed to call both these countries as home and hence, you will find a lot of content on these two countries on SoloPassport.
I want to promote solo traveling through my content. Most of my readers and friends are curiousas to why I love solo traveling. Because for me solo traveling is:
- Liberating and educative.
- A way of learning how to handle situations by yourself.
- And mainly for me, solo travel is like meditation.
I remember asking a few of my friends some time ago as to why should I be going to meditation classes when I can achieve the same outcome by sitting along the river or watching the birds fly or hearing the sound of the waves. My friends did try to convince me, but no, nothing changed my mind.
Apart from the meditation, my other reasons to solo travel are:
- It provides me with an opportunity to do what I love and what I am passionate about, travel. And mainly to travel with the best travel buddy I have, which is me.
- It provides me as an escape, away from all the drama in my life. Don’t get me wrong, I do love my friends and family but sometimes it is the ‘me’ time that I crave for.
- Allows me to clear my mind off, in difficult situations. I have come up with solutions to some of my challenges during my solo travels.
- A great way to make friends, some of them for life – and yes, I have made a few friends along my travels whom I am still in touch with.
- I can be silly and stupid and I have absolutely no one around to judge me.
- And lastly but definitely not the least, Solo travel gives me access to the limitless power of sheer awesomeness! (Okay, a dialogue from Kung Fu panda).
For me, hiking and trekking are like achievements. I need to keep doing them and a way to get the exercise that I need being outdoors. I try to hike as much as possible over the weekends. This is a passion that I picked up a few years ago. It was a step taken towards being fit and healthy. Today, I am proud to say that I have hiked to the Mount Everest Base Camp and also completed the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
Diving and Snorkelling
I have always been a water baby and have loved everything about the ocean. My first dive was in the year 2007 and there was no looking back after that dive. I have dived whenever I have got a chance, however it is only recently that I have been thinking of taking scuba diving as a potential career path. I am PADI certified Rescue scuba diver and I try to dive at least one or two times in couple of months.
I am an artist who loves to paint. I usually paint using acrylic colours, but do occasionally paint using the watercolours. Through my art, I express feminism and blend in Indian and Australian cultures. I showcase and sell my art through Flaunt Our Art.
I have been blogging and sharing content for the past 6 years. I believe in being honest and transparent with my viewers and followers. Blogging is a way for me to promote solo female traveling and to voice my opinions on certain subjects.