Chile was voted as a must visit place for 2018 by Lonely Planet. I have seen New Zealand and Norway and I have loved every bit of those countries. If Chile was voted above NZ and Norway, then Chile had to live up to its status. Well, I was visiting Chile for my Christmas break in 2017. I had expectations – very huge expectations.
First day in Santiago, I took a taxi from Airport to Downtown, I was conned 😕. I was charged USD 65 by the driver stating it was on the meter. My friend had traveled the same distance and route previous day and he had paid USD 30. I was disappointed. I was taken aback.
Tip: The taxi from Airport to Downtown costs 13300 Chilean Pesos.
My friend’s and my travel cards had stopped working. We had no money. All the money we had in cash, we had to pay for our accommodation.
I had landed in Santiago over the weekend on a Saturday, everything – literally every single store in Downtown was closed. I had no food. Luckily I was carrying a pack of noodles to survive for the day. I was again disappointed. The story continued next day as well.
But I now love Chile 😍, here is why!
- Third day I did a hike of 16 kilometers to the Glacier.My guide Gonzalis was very nice. He knew what he was talking and was very passionate about his work. He treated all of us on the tour very well and we were taken care of. The disappointment caused by the first two days was reduced.
- Fourth day I visited Valparaíso. The city was extremely colorful. And I am a big fan of street art and Valparaíso was the place to be. It was spectacular. The disappointment that I had towards Chile changed into liking. The ice cream at Valparaíso helped as well.
- Fifth day I hiked up to the volcano. The hike had amazing views of the mountains – really powerful huge mountains.
- I saw not one but two condors – Chile’s National bird.
- The two guides were amazing. They were very friendly and again were passionate about their jobs.
- Two little birds interacted with me during my hike. I had started to love Chile.
- Sixth day was the highlight. I visited the Inca lagoon. Oh-my-God! It was stupendous, simply mind blowing. I loved Chile a little more.
Few more reasons include:
- Chileans love their dogs. There are so many stray dogs all around the city but none of them thin, they are all very well fed. I love it.
- I have had some amazing grilled fresh salmons. They were delicious and tasty.
- Pisco, the super special drink of Chile, is mind blowing. I loved it!
- Lastly but definitely not the least, Chilean wines. They are fresh and super delicious. Carmanere, which was thought extinct from the World, was discovered only here in Chile and now exists only in Chile.
I would definitely suggest Chile to be a top item on your bucket list. It is the place for any kind of traveler.