India, my home country, is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh largest country by area and the most populous democracy in the World. New Delhi is the capital of India. India consists of 29 states and 7 union territories.
- Capital city: New Delhi.
- Main language spoken: Hindi and English.
- Basic Greetings in Hindi: Namaste, Shukriya/Dhanyawad.
- Currency: Indian rupee (INR).
- Forex Exchange: Currency can be exchanged at any international airports.
- Tourist visa: Visa is required to enter India (latest information can be found on Indian Immigration website).
- Best time to visit: October to March.
- Adapter required (power points): Type D plug.
- SIM: Airtel, Vodafone and BSNL are the common providers.
- Driving licence: International unexpired valid driving licence is required.
Ancient India was known as the Golden Sparrow, because of the wealth and prosperity.
Mark Twain summarized as to why India was called a “Golden Sparrow”. He quoted: “The land of dreams and romance, of fabulous wealth and fabulous poverty, of splendor and rags, of palaces and hovels, of famine and pestilence, of genii and giants and Aladdin lamps, of tigers and elephants, the cobra and the jungle, the country of hundred nations and a hundred tongues, of a thousand religions and two million gods, cradle of the human race, birthplace of human speech, mother of history, grandmother of legend, great-grandmother of traditions, whose yesterday’s bear date with the antiquities for the rest of nations-the one sole country under the sun that is endowed with an imperishable interest for alien prince and alien peasant, for lettered and ignorant, wise and fool, rich and poor, bond and free, the one land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for the shows of all the rest of the world combined.”
Jammu & Kashmir
Ladakh diaries – I have fallen in love with Ladakh. I have loved every bit of the place. So, I have created an entire diary for documenting my travels in Ladakh.
- A wild day in wilderness of Kabini – The backwaters of the Kabini reservoir are be very popular for wildlife in summer. The Kabini reservoir is located on the southern fringes of the Nagarahole National Park (Rajiv Gandhi National Park) , this was a former hunting lodge of the erstwhile Maharaja of Mysore.
- Nilgiri Mountain Railway Train Ride – Ooty/Coonor – I have been on innumerable train journeys in my life. Honestly, I find travelling in train more fun than in a bus or even flights for that matter. A semester project in my graduation on Indian Railways, prompted me to build my ‘Bucket-List’ of Must Travel Train Journeys in India. With time, somehow this list got buried deep down and I forgot about it.