Earlier this year, I posted about how I fund my travels. Then the question popped up, how do I manage my job and leave! I would like to start by saying I have a full time job which requires me to work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday and I do get limited number of leave like anyone else. So, how do I get my leave? The answers are quite simple.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thank you for your support.
Below are the things that I religiously follow:
- Contracting – I have a contracting job (contracting as in a job only for a fixed period of time) and this gives me flexibility to take a break between two contracts.
- Planning – I plan well in advance. I plan my holidays and give enough notice (sometimes more than 6-8 months) to my boss.
- My colleagues (especially my bosses in every contract) understand my passion for travel. Being in Australia helps as well.
- Weekend – I mostly travel during weekends. I travel almost all weekends.
- Long weekends – If it is a long weekend (say weekend with 1-2 days of public holidays), then I take few more days extra leave and travel for a long period.
- Before starting any contract, I let the new employer know about my planned future travels.
These are some of them I follow and you can notice following these are not hard but they just have to be followed regularly. At the end of the day, where there is will there will always be a way!
I have already written a post as to how I get money to travel, as this is the next common question that I get asked.