Where is Moreton Island?
Moreton Island is an island that is 58 kilometers from the capital city of Brisbane in the state of Queensland in Australia. It is a paradise and there is no doubt or question in that. The beaches are crystal clear and have only sand dunes within the island. The island offers many activities to do, to name some are the 4 wheel driving, snorkeling, hand feeding the dolphins, and helicopter rides.
Tangalooma Island Resort Ferry arranges for transfers between Brisbane and Moreton Island. It is around 75 minutes ferry ride. The ferries depart from Holt Street Wharf and are available at different times throughout the day.
The ferry can be booked by calling the Tangalooma Island Resort reservations team at 1300 652 250.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Moreton Island is during summer and autumn seasons. It is ideal to visit from October to May months.
Watch out for jelly fishes while swimming in the ocean.
- Resort – We stayed at the Tangalooma Island Resort. The resort is right along the beach and it is one of the best places I have ever stayed at. A standard room at this resort costs AUD 209 per night. There are also other options including a budgeted room at the resort.
- Camping – There are also five camping grounds on the island run by national parks authority.
Other than the above options, there are also private houses to stay and glamping options.
Things to do
There are many things to do on the island.
- Scuba Diving or Snorkeling at Tangalooma Wreck – The scuba diving is at a shipwreck, which is around 20 minutes from the resort. This is a must-do as the wreck is very beautiful.
- 4W drive – Experience the 4W drive and have the fun of driving on the sand.
Note: Ensure to take good driving lesson from the place you hire the 4W drive. Also keep the gears down while driving on the sand.
- Visit Cape Moreton Lighthouse – Built in the year 1857, this lighthouse is a great place to get some history about the island. It is also a nice place to spot wild dolphins and whales.
For a detailed list of things to do on Moreton Island, read 35 things to do on the island.
On a Friday night, my friends and I took a flight from Sydney to Brisbane.
The next day we took a ferry from Brisbane to Moreton Island. The weather was fantastic and warm – a perfect weather to explore.
The views of the water from the ferry were lovely and refreshing.
We spotted lots of jelly fishes on the way to the island.
As soon as we reached the resort, we immediately went for the scuba diving.
The sunset at the island was stunning and lived up to the expectations.
In the night, we hand fed the dolphins at the resort. This is the highlight of staying at the Tangalooma Resort. The best thing about this hand feeding was that the people had to sanitise their hands before holding the fish and no body was allowed to touch the dolphin. I am not too sure if I would do this activity again because I do not know whether it is right or wrong to feed a wild dolphin.
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures.
The next day started off as a lazy morning. We had hired a 4WD vehicle and we drove through the sand dunes.
We drove till the Cape Moreton Lighthouse.
The island has lots of Pelicans.
Moreton Island is truly one of the spectacular islands in Australia. It is totally worth spending three or four days at the island. And I would visit this place again so I can scuba dive at the wreck once more with my certification. I would recommend visiting this island.