There are plenty of things running in my mind, before I head out on my long adventure. I have to ensure all the things are taken care of and I have everything I need before I leave Sydney. Since it was all confusing and hard to remember, I created this post. And also to ensure others make use of this list too.
List of Things to do before you head on an adventure
- First things first, ensure that all the travels are registered on Smart Traveller.
- Ensure your posts are taken care of. Australia post has a service where they can hold all the letters and bills you receive through mails for a small fee. More information can be found on their website.
- Cancel unnecessary subscriptions on your phone.
- Send your travel plans to at least one of your friends.
- Buy a good travel insurance. See next section in the post.
- Get your vaccinations up-to-date.
- Write down important phone numbers, like embassy.
- Scan your important documents (like passport).
- Take print outs of your tickets. Note: I love the digital versions but some places do require paper tickets to be printed.
- Pay your bills up-to-date.
- Take all your medicines.
- Plan for the weather at the destinations.
- Download offline maps.
One of the most important things to buy before traveling is the Travel Insurance. No matter how many days I travel, if it is overseas I always buy a travel insurance. I generally buy a comprehensive insurance. And for my career break, I bought an annual insurance for Worldwide except USA, Canada, Mexico, Central & South America and Antarctica. And this was one of my biggest expenses, but was the cheapest among all other providers.
- Insurance provider: Insure and Go
- Insured period: 1 year
- Type of Cover: Gold AMT 30 days
- Insurance cover: Multi trip cover
- Cost: AUD 253.67
- Phone within Australia: 1300 401 177
- Phone outside Australia: +61 2 9333 3902
- Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 7pm
- Friday, 8.30am – 6pm
- Saturday 9am – 5pm
- Email: email@example.com
Overseas Emergency Assistance Helpline
- Phone: +61 2 9333 3999
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week