No! I did not find any mermaids in the pool 😀 . But it is definitely a place where mermaids would have loved to have lived (if they existed!). The place is extremely pretty and worth visiting.
About the Mermaids Pool
The Mermaids pool is a natural pool created on the Bargo River and the Tahmoor Gorge in New South Wales (NSW). The River by the trail provides ample opportunities for amazing pictures.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thank you for your support.
- Driving – The Rockford Road Bridge is the starting point of the trail to Mermaids Pool. It is about 100 kilometres and takes 1 hour and 30 minutes drive from Sydney Central Business District (CBD).
- The route has toll roads.
Unfortunately, there is no public transport to the start of the hike.
Hike to Mermaids Pool
The pool and the trail to the pool are very picturesque and is one of the best one day hikes I have done in New South Wales. There are two ways to hike to the Mermaids pool.
- Option 1 is from the bridge (easy 5 kilometres return) and
- Option 2 is a loop trail from the Tahmoor Gorge (hard 8 kilometres loop).
We opted for the first option. There is a FREE car park very close to the bridge.
The below map shows the car park and the hiking trail from the car park.
** Did you know you can purchase 100% Australian made body and health related products from home? Visit Love your health website today! **
- DO NOT cliff jump or swim in the pools. It has been advised that it is extremely dangerous. Read the article on The Daily Telegraph.
- There is no mobile network along the trail and near the pool.
- There are blue ribbons tied to the trees to mark the path, but the path is not well paved and is through the rocks.
- It’s absolutely free to do this walk.
- There are no cafes, restaurants, or toilets near the hiking trail or the pool.
The Mermaids Pool walk is a nice walk, very close to Sydney. I loved this hike and I recommend doing this walk as well. This would make a very good one day easy hike and a great getaway for a weekend.
For information on other one day walks – read One day walks and hikes around Sydney.