Shivagange is a Hindu temple and a mountain peak, situated in Dobbaspet. It is a quick one day getaway from Bangalore. The mountain is in the shape of a Shivalinga and a spring flows close to the mountain which is called Ganga locally. It is also famously known as ‘Dakshina Kashi‘. The height of the mountain is 805 metres.
PIN for later reference
How to reach Shivagange Betta?
The best way to reach Shivagange is by road. The distance between Shivagange and Bangalore is about 50 kilometres. The nearest town is Tumkur which is 19 kilometres from Shivagange.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Shivagange is between the months of October and March when it is not too hot.
Timings and Important Information
- The temple on the top opens at around 8:30 AM.
- There are stalls at the base of the hill, so one can buy snacks and water bottles if required.
- Beware of monkeys. There are lots of them.
- Carry sufficient water.
- Please do not litter and carry your trash with you.
- Do not write anything on the monuments.
- You can wear footwear to the top.
- Trek light.
Logistics (Shivagange Betta)
The temple is a popular trekking site among the trekkers. The trail to the peak is well marked and has man-made steps. The path is suitable for beginners as it is an easy trail of 2.3 kilometres to the peak.
Note: The trail does become narrow and steep near the peak, and there are safety railings to hold onto. Also, be careful from the monkeys that exist near the summit.
- Distance: 2.3 kilometres one way
- Grade: Moderate (Easy till Olakalu Theertha)
- Number of steps: 150 steps till Olakalu Theertha
- Time taken to the peak: 30 minutes till Olakalu Theertha + 30 to 45 minutes to the peak.