I had heard about Freemans camping ground many years ago. One of my ex-colleagues had visited this campground and had highly recommended it. I kept trying to book this campground but I was never successful as it was always booked out. The Freemans camping ground is a very famous and a busy campground.
About Freemans camping ground
Freemans camping ground is undoubtedly one of the beautiful camping sites I have ever been to in the New South Wales (NSW) state of Australia. It is a popular camping ground in the Munmorah State Conservation area. The campground has access to the untouched and unexplored beach, the Birdie beach.
If you are camping in your caravan, the visit Caravan Camping website for best camping equipment solutions.
Facilities at the campground
I prefer camping with facilities and I do not enjoy the camping that is in the bush and complete wilderness where there is no basic facilities such as toilets as well. As this campground had all the necessary facilities, I really enjoyed camping here.
I started camping only after I moved to Australia and my first experience with camping was at Cedarvale camping ground in Kangaroo Valley.
The Freemans campground has basic facilities like barbecue, picnic tables, toilets, showers, car park and drinking water. The campground is a car camping ground which means that the cars can be parked along the campsites.
Note: Ensure to take water purifying tablets even though drinking water is available. And for all the things to pack for a camping trip, read my camping checklist.
How to get to Freemans camping ground?
- The Freemans campground is around the Lake Macquarie area and the distance from Sydney is around 125 kilometres. It takes only 1 hour 30 minutes to drive from Sydney. Note the route has toll roads.
- As the campground is not too far away from Sydney, it is an ideal destination for a weekend trip especially for people who have families and little kids.
Booking and cost
- The booking to reserve a camp site is done online on the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Services website and the cost is about AUD 34 for 2 adults for one night.
- The fare is paid either by a credit or a debit card.
What to do around Freemans?
The Freemans campground has many things to do and is an ideal location to spend the weekend. A few things that I did while I was in Freemans camp ground were:
- A walk along the Birdie Beach is absolutely breath taking. The beach is stunning and a coastal walk along the beach is a must.
- Kayaking at Lake Macquarie. The kayaking on the calm waters of the lake is very relaxing and a great way to bond with friends and family.
- There are plenty of short walks around the lakes.
- For all things to do around Lake Macquarie, read my post Road trip to the city of Lake Macquarie.
I also suggest visiting the Lake Macquarie visitor centre while you are in Freemans campground. They have lots of information and maps of the local area.
As the reputation of the Freemans camping ground holds, it is definitely one of the best campsites I have been to. Just a few metres from the Birdie beach, the campsite is amazing and makes a heavenly place for vacationers.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thank you for your support.