Iceland – A land of fire and ice, is truly a traveller’s and a photographer’s paradise. It is famous for its dramatic landscapes. Boasting with its volcanoes, glaciers, geysers and hot springs, it stands out as one of the most beautiful countries in the World.
Last year I traveled around in Iceland for about 10 days and these are some of my pictures from my travels.
Hallgrimskirkja Cathedral Church
- Hallgrimskirkja Cathedral Church, is the largest church in Iceland. Situated in the capital city Reykjavik, it is one of the city’s famous landmarks. It took 41 years to build the church and is named after Iceland’s poet Hallgrimur Petursson.
The Sun Voyager
- The Sun Voyager – Unveiled in 1990, the Sun voyager is a sculpture built of stainless steel. It is the artist’s interpretation of a dreamboat and an ode to the Sun.
- Icelandic Horse – The Icelandic Horse is a breed of horse that is bred in Iceland. They are long-lived and strong. They come in many colors including black, chestnut, gray, dun, bay and so on. And they are small in size and are often considered as pony size.
- Krysuvik is a geothermal area on the Reykjanes peninsula of Iceland. It consists of several geothermal fields such as Seltun. The soil is colored bright yellow, red and green.
Reykjanes Fissure Swarm
- Reykjanes Fissure Swarm – The Reykjanes peninsula is a volcanic zone and is a direct continuance of the North Atlantic Ridge that surfaces from the ocean of Reykjanes. It has four volcanic systems. The most recent eruption were in 1210 to 1240.
Tectonic Plates Bridge
- Tectonic Plates Bridge is a bridge that is between Europe and North America. The bridge between the two continents is a small footbridge. The bridge is known as ‘Midlina’ and is also known as ‘Leif the Lucky Bridge’.
- Thrihnukagigur literally translates to ‘Three Peaks Crater’. The volcano was discovered in the year 1974 and is the only volcano in the World where people are allowed to take an elevator into a magma chamber.
- Seljalandfoss is a very popular waterfalls in the Southern part of Iceland. It is one of the natural wonders in Iceland and is about 120 kilometers from the capital city Reykjavik.
- Silfra is a rift formed in the tectonic plates between North American and Eurasian plates. Snorkeling in Silfra is a unique experience because of the clear crystal waters. The rift offers exceptional visibility of 70 to 80 meters.