Dandeli is a town in the Uttara Karnataka district in the Western Ghats in the southern part of India. Dandeli is a natural habitat for the wildlife. The wildlife includes tigers, black panthers, leopards, elephants, sambar deers, spotted deers, gaurs and sloth bears. It is the second largest wildlife sanctuary in Karnataka and was designated as the tiger reserve. The forest also has rich variety of birds and reptiles.
How to go to Dandeli
Unfortunately, there are no direct flights or trains from Bangalore to Dandeli.
- Train runs from Bangalore to Hubli, which is an overnight journey. Trains can be booked at IRCTC website. And a cab/taxi or a car is required to reach from Hubli to Dandeli, which takes about 1.5 hours each way.
- Drive – The distance between Bangalore to Dandeli is 478 kms and the driving takes about 8 hours.
- Bus – There is a direct bus from Bangalore to Dandeli and it takes about 10 hours. Buses can be booked at Red bus website.
Best Time to visit
The best time to visit Dandeli is during winters and summers which is from October to May.
Places to Stay
- Kali Wilderness Camp run by the Jungle Lodges – I stayed at this resort and I must say that the service provided was excellent. The staff is very friendly and approachable. The food is part of the packages that they provide and I must say that the food is fresh and delicious.
- Whistling Woods is another great option. They are closer to the rafting place and arrange for their own private rafting tours.
Things to do
- A must do is the White Water Rafting. The rafting is on the Kali River and is for 9 kilometers. It has 10 rapids with a scale of 3+. The guides take extra precautions and ensure that the participants are well taken care of.
- Forest jeep safari at Dandeli National Park. Even though it is difficult to spot wildlife in Dandeli because of the dense forest cover, jeep safari is a good way to explore the abundance flora and fauna.
- Coracle boat ride on River Kali – This is another must do activities in Dandeli. The ride provides an ample opportunity to spot the Fresh water crocodiles and various water birds.
- Bird Watching – Dandeli may not be a mecca for bird watching, but is definitely no less in spotting the various colorful birds. It is famous for the Indian Hornbills and they can easily be spotted along any water bodies or in the forest.
- Sinteri Rocks – It is one of the beautiful places that has amazing rock formations with underground river systems. It also has lots of beehives. Note: The current of the water is high and dangerous and hence swimming is prohibited.
All of the above activities can be arranged and booked through any of the hotels or resorts.