Hike to Barrenjoey lighthouse
Barrenjoey lighthouse, a heritage listed lighthouse in the north of Sydney, is one of the most beautiful lighthouses that I have seen in Sydney. The hike is not that long and the views of the never ending ocean from the lighthouse are stunning and breath-taking.
About Barrenjoey lighthouse
Built in the late 1800s, Barrenjoey lighthouse is a great sandstone lighthouse with spectacular views in the background. The lighthouse sits in the Barrenjoey head at Palm Beach and is one of the most iconic landmarks in Sydney’s northern beaches.
The lighthouse provides a great spot for whale watching during the months of May and October and is also an awesome spot to see the Milky way in Sydney at nights.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thank you for your support.
How to get to the car park?
- Public transport: There are direct buses between Central bus stop and Palm Beach. The bus number is L90.
- Refer the NSW Transport website for up-to-date information.
- Driving: The quickest way to get to the Governor Phillip car park, which is the starting point of the hike, is by driving.
- The distance between Sydney Central Business District (CBD) and Governor Phillip car park is around 50 kilometres and the drive takes 1 hour 15 minutes.
- There are plenty of parking spaces available at the Governor Phillip car park.
It is no possible to drive up to the Barrenjoey lighthouse.
I suggest hiking this trail to Barrenjoey lighthouse on Sundays so you can get public access to the lighthouse. I also recommend doing this hike during sunrise or sunset to get amazing views of the sky and the ocean.
Logistics of the hike
- Starting and finishing point: Governor Phillip car park on the Beach Road.
- National park fee: No entry fee.
** Did you know you can purchase 100% Australian made body and health related products from home? Visit Love your health website today! **
There are two ways to get to the Barrenjoey lighthouse from the Governor Phillip car park.
- Route 1 – Access trail.
- Route 2 – Smugglers track.
Route 1 – Access Trail
- Type of walk: Return.
- Distance: 6 kilometres.
- Time taken: 1 hour.
- Grade: Easy.
route 2 – Smugglers Track
- Type of walk: Return.
- Distance: 2 kilometres.
- Time taken: 2 hours.
- Grade: Moderate to Hard (Steep stairs).
Is it safe for solo female travelers?
Absolutely yes! This is one hike that I say is safe for solo hikers. However, I would suggest hiking with a buddy especially at nights as the path does get very dark.
I love hiking to the Barrenjoey lighthouse. It is very pretty and the views from the lighthouse are spectacular. Even the trail is so beautiful. So, I suggest doing this hike at least once or may be more than once while visiting Sydney.