Did you know that Bangalore has a clock tower that chants ‘Om’ at every hour of the day? Yes, Omkar Hill is a beautiful and spiritual place where you can hear Om chanting. I had visited the Omkar Hill when Rajarajeshwari Nagar was still considered as outskirts of Bangalore.
Are you looking for places to visit around Bangalore as one day trips? Refer section, One day trips from Bangalore.
Update 4/6/2022: The clock that used to chant Om is no longer working and it has not been repaired as well.
PIN for later reference
This article may contain affiliate links. For full information, please see our affiliate disclaimer here.
Where is Omkar Hill?
Omkar Hill, a short form for Omkareshwara Hill, is a small hill in the Rajarajeshwari Nagar area of Bangalore city. The hill is at a height of 853 metres and is considered as the highest point in Bangalore. At the moment Omkar Hill is home to two temples, Matsya Narayana and Dwadasha Jyotirlinga temples. The Dwadasha Jyotirlinga temple has replica of 12 Jyotirlingas. Omkar Hill also has a clock tower. There is a construction going on for the third temple.
Are you visiting Bangalore for the first time? Read the ultimate guide to Bangalore.
The temples are open between 7 AM and 12:30 PM and between 4:30 PM and 8 PM on weekdays and Saturdays. And between 7 AM and 9 PM on Sundays and public holidays. The best time to visit the temples and the clock is either during the morning or at sunset. Sunsets are spectacular and the views of the sky is really worth it.
How to get to Omkar Hill?
Omkar Hill is around 15 kilometres from Bangalore city in Rajarajeshwari Nagar. It takes about 40 minutes to reach by road. The route is towards Mysore Road and note that Mysore Road is always jammed, especially at Rajarajeshwari Nagar arch. Usually, everyone drives or rides to Omkar Hill.
- There are plenty of paid parking spaces available. For a car, the parking cost around INR 50.
Even though public transportation can be a bit tricky, there are many buses that stop at Srinivasapura.
- Buses – The buses leave from main bus stops at Majestic or Kengeri Satellite bus stops in Bangalore. And Srinivasapura is around 600 metres from Omkar Hill.
- The fares for the local buses are purchased on the buses and needs to be paid only by cash.
- Ensure to take the exact change for the fare.
- Metro – The metro stops at Rajarajeshwari Nagar arch and one can take a bus or an auto rickshaw from the metro station to Omkar hill.
- Note: The auto rickshaw drivers demand a lot of money and do not go by the metre fare.
- It is best to order an Uber or an Ola cab.
Things to do in Rajarajeshwari Nagar
Rajarajeshwari Nagar has now become one of the hotspots of Bangalore and it has so much to offer. While you are already in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, there are a few other things you can do before heading back to the city.
- Shrunga Giri Shree Shanmukha Swamy temple – A very interesting place to visit is the Shree Shanmukha Swamy temple. The gopuram has 6 big faces of Shanmukha statue.
- Shree Nimishamba Devi temple – Another ancient and popular temple to visit in Rajarajeshwari Nagar is the Nimishamba Devi temple. The temple is open every day between 6:30 AM and 1:30 PM and between 4:00 PM and 9:00 PM.
- Gopalan Arcade Mall – Rajarajeshwari Nagar also has a shopping centre, just near the arch. This is the shopping centre that also has a theatre (cinema) where the locals of Rajarajeshwari Nagar see the movies.
- Restaurants and cafes – As I mentioned, Rajarajeshwari Nagar has become one of the hang out spots of Bangalore and hence there are plenty of restaurants and cafes that cater to all kinds of cuisines. For a delicious list of restaurants and cafes in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, read LBB website.
Safety for solo female travelers
Bangalore is relatively safe for solo female travelers. However, there are places that get isolated and hence one needs to be careful. Omkar Hill is safe as well but make sure you get back to the city before it gets dark. Also, be cautious at all times, especially at night.
New to solo travel? Or do you have a lot of questions regarding solo travels? Read frequently asked questions on solo travel.
Omkar Hill is peaceful and a nice place to visit over the weekend. It makes a perfect one day trip from the Bangalore city and it is definitely worth visiting.
Have you visited Omkar Hill? What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.
How can you support me?
You know how much I love coffee, so you can buy me coffee – Buy me Coffee!
Or you can purchase from one of the below travel resources without any extra charge to you.
Click to book your flight on Skyscanner.com
Click to book your accommodation on Stay22
Click to book a comprehensive travel insurance on Safety Wing
Click to book your tours and travels on Viator or GetYourGuide
Do you have a question? Or want any suggestions, and tips for travels, hikes and scuba dives? Use the Subscription box below to sign-up and get updates by email.