As part of a meetup group, I decided to do a photography event. The event was to go around in the south coast of New South Wales (NSW) and click some amazing pictures. During this event, I also went to the Belmore waterfalls which was an unplanned destination.
Where is Belmore falls?
Belmore falls is in the Morton National Park. The walk provides a spectacular views of the Kangaroo valley and starts off at the Hindmarsh lookout.
A very good camping spot in Kangaroo Valley is the Cedarvale camping ground.
How to get to Hindmarsh lookout?
The distance between Sydney Central Business District (CBD) and Hindmarsh lookout is about 150 kilometres and it takes just about 2 hours to drive from Sydney.
- There are toll roads.
- There are plenty of parking spots available.
- Trains – The nearest train station is Unanderra. There are frequent trains are available between Sydney Central train station and Unanderra.
- Buses – The nearest bus stop is Mittagong. There are buses are available between Sydney Central and Mittagong.
- Both Unanderra and Mittagong are about 30 minutes car ride away from Belmore Falls.
- More information can be found at NSW Transport website.
Hike to the bottom
The track is a fenced off trail, which means that to start the unmarked trail, we had to jump off the fence. The climb is through the fallen trees and the slippery rocks. Note that few of the sections of the walk do come across confusing.
- Starting and finishing point: Hindmarsh lookout.
- Distance: 5 kilometers return.
- Grade: Hard (unmarked path).
- Time taken: Approx. 2 hours.
- There are plenty of free parking car spaces available.
The waterfalls is definitely worth visiting. Even though the hike to the bottom of the waterfalls is a bit hard, it was totally worth it. I would suggest visiting this waterfalls and also extend the trip to visit the Fitzroy waterfalls.