Review of Carmelia Haven Resort in Thekkady
Do you love staying among nature? Waking up to the birds chirping or watching a butterfly hovering over a flower? Nestled among the green plantation is this beautiful property in Thekkady called the Carmelia Haven Resort. I had an opportunity to stay at this amazing place during the pre-KTM (Kerala Travel Mart) tour in Kerala.
Also read | Review of Dutch Bungalow at Kochi.
PIN for later reference
This article may contain affiliate links. For full information, please see our affiliate disclaimer here.
About Carmelia Haven
Situated in Vandanmedu, Carmelia Haven is an eco friendly resort where luxury merges with nature. Spread across 55 acres, the resort is amidst tea and cardamom plantations that has various activities in the resort for all age groups. It is a perfect getaway from busy city and is a lovely stay option in Thekkady.
Booking and Check in process
The booking and check in process at Carmelia Haven Resort is hassle free and seamless. Bookings can be done on the Booking.com website. The packages and the tariff for the rooms vary based on the season. Costs are higher during the peak season and are lower and at discounted price during the off season.
The staff at Carmelia Haven Resort are very friendly and humble. They attend to the guests as soon as possible and the check-in happens very quickly. The staff also help out guests with their baggage and also ensuring that the guests settle down at their accommodation comfortably.
Rooms at Carmelia Haven Resort
The property has three options where guests can enjoy their stay according to their comfort and budget.
- Planters Villa – When I visited Carmelia Haven Resort, I stayed at Planters Villa and I must say, I had an awesome and comfortable time. The villa was spacious and large with an equally spacious bathroom.
- Jacuzzi Villa – The Jacuzzi Villas are similar to Planters Villa but with a verandah and a Jacuzzi. It is definitely perfect for guests who wish for luxury.
- Tree House – The Tree houses are surely for guests who love adventures. They are made of solid wood and are in between plantations and nature. One can also spot a hornbill from the room.
Dining at Carmelia Haven Resort
Carmelia Haven Resort have an inhouse multicuisine restaurant called Kolumban. Kolumban is named after a local chieftain of the Malaya Araya tribe. The food is absolutely delicious and beautiful. They serve both buffet and a la carte. The breakfast buffet had a variety of options from continental to authentic Kerala cuisine. There is also a coffee shop to enjoy a pleasant evening and chill out sipping a coffee.
Facilities at Carmelia Haven Resort
The property has a number of facilities that are great for guests who wish to spend a lot of time at the resort with their friends and family. Some of the facilities include:
- Swimming pool.
- Ayurveda centre and treatment.
- Indoor games room.
- Travel assistance desk.
One of the best things to do in Carmelia Haven Resort is the plantation walk. A naturalist takes the guests on a guided walk through the plantations of the property. The plantation consists of pepper, cardamom, ginger and other trees and bushes. It is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the flora and fauna around the area.
Guests are also treated with some cultural activities before winding their day. The cultural activities provide a glimpse of Kerala’s culture and traditions. We had the privilege of watching two talented dancers who showcased Mohini Attam and Bharatnatyam dances. I cannot stress enough as to how amazing the show was.
How to get to Carmelia Haven Resort?
- Airport – The nearest airport is in Kochi and the distance between Kochi International airport and Carmelia Haven Resort is around 95 kilometres. Almost all airline providers including Air India and Spice Jet operate from Kochi International airport.
Also read | Fort Kochi Heritage walk.
- Buses – There are frequent buses between major cities and towns to Thekkady. And Carmelia Haven Resort is around 23 kilometres from Thekkady. For up-to-date information on buses, visit Redbus website.
- Trains – The nearest train station is at Kottayam and Thekkady is around 115 kilometres from Kottayam railway station. The Kottayam railway station is very well connected with major cities and towns across India. For up-to-date information on trains, visit IRCTC website.
- It is best to hire a cab service from the airport or train station. Ensure to haggle and do your research before accepting the fare asked by the cab drivers.
Safety for solo female travelers
Carmelia Haven Resort is very safe for solo female travelers. The staff are very nice and friendly and there are many female staff at the resort. But be careful of the wildlife in the property, especially at night. Since the property is amidst nature and has many acres of plantation and trees, there may be snakes in the property. Other than that the property is perfect for female travelers and there is nothing to worry about staying here.
Note: Keep your windows closed at all times as lizards do get into the rooms. If there are any lizards inside the room, then you can call the staff and they will help you get the lizards out.
Are you new to solo female traveling? Or do you have a lot of questions for solo traveling? Read frequently asked questions (FAQ) on solo female traveling.
I had a great time staying at Carmelia Haven Resort but I just wish I had more time at the property. I would any day prefer to stay at this property when I visit Thekkady as I was really impressed with the hospitality. Everything about the property was beautiful and comfortable. I highly recommend them as your stay when you are in Thekkady.
I was hosted by Kerala Travel Mart 2022 and partnering hotels and resorts as a media invitee. I did this activity or stayed at the resort as part of their Pre-Mart tour and I thank them for the hospitality. However, all the opinions mentioned in the post are solely mine and unbiased. The information mentioned is based on the inputs provided from various sources and on my personal experience.
Click here to book your flight on Skyscanner.com
Click here to book your accommodation on Stay22
Click here to book a comprehensive travel insurance on Safety Wing
Click here to book your tours and travels on Viator or GetYourGuide
If you liked this article, do comment, tweet, or share this post.
Follow me on Instagram | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
Do you have a question? Or want any suggestions, and tips for travels, hikes and scuba dives? Use the Subscription box below to sign-up and get updates by email.