Are you someone who enjoys exploring farms, or perhaps you’re keen on introducing your children to the wonders of farm life? If so, Chiguru Farm is an ideal farm stay destination near Bangalore. Having visited numerous farms nearby, I can confidently say that Chiguru Farm and its owner, Raghu (also known as Raghavendra Bhat), left a lasting impression on me.
Discover the tranquil allure of Chiguru Farm, your ultimate farm stay retreat just a stone’s throw away from Bangalore. Nestled amidst lush greenery, Chiguru Farm offers a serene escape from the city hustle, where you can unwind, reconnect with nature, and experience the rustic charm of farm life. Immerse yourself in the picturesque landscapes, indulge in farm-fresh cuisine, and rejuvenate your senses with various outdoor activities.
PIN for later reference – Chiguru Farm: Your Rustic Retreat Near Bangalore
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to purchase via my links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. For complete information, please see our affiliate disclaimer here.
About Chiguru Farm, Your Rustic Retreat Near Bangalore
Chiguru, which translates to “new leaves” in Kannada, is a sanctuary of organic and sustainable farming spanning 15 acres. Established in 2014 by Raghu, a former software professional driven by a passion for organic agriculture, this farm embodies a commitment to eco-conscious practices.
The heart of Chiguru Farm encompasses the main courtyard, kitchen, rooms, and dining hall, all meticulously constructed using eco-friendly materials and techniques, occupying a harmonious 3-acre space. One striking feature that captivated me was the expansive Tulsi (Basil) katte (pot) adorning the courtyard entrance.
Immersing oneself in the tranquil ambience of Chiguru Farm offers a rejuvenating escape from the bustle of Bangalore. Whether you seek a day’s retreat or a weekend getaway, this haven provides the perfect opportunity to connect with nature, delve into learning experiences, and engage with farm animals amidst the serene countryside.
Stay Options at Chiguru Farm
Chiguru Farm offers a range of modest yet comfortable stay options, reflecting Raghu’s vision to preserve the farm’s raw essence, steering clear of resort-like extravagance. Each package thoughtfully combines accommodation, meals, and engaging activities for a holistic experience.
- Main Building Rooms: Two spacious rooms within the main structure cater to families, accommodating four adults and two children each, complete with attached toilets. Packages commence at Rs. 3600 per adult and Rs. 2900 per child over five years.
- Container Room: A unique lodging option for three individuals, featuring an attached toilet for convenience. Packages start from Rs. 3700 per adult and Rs. 3100 per child over five years.
- Tent-Like Room: Adjacent to the Container Room, this cozy space accommodates an additional two adults from the same group, ideal for a close-knit experience. Packages begin at Rs. 3300 per adult and Rs. 2900 per child over five years.
- Camping Tents: Chiguru Farm offers ample space for at least ten tents, accommodating 2 to 3 individuals per tent, with shared toilets conveniently located near the main building. Packages start from Rs. 3300 per adult and Rs. 2800 per child over five years. This area doubles as a venue for stargazing and hosts workshops on astrophotography, adding an enriching dimension to your stay.
How to Get to Chiguru Farm?
Situated in the scenic Kanakpura district, Chiguru Farm lies approximately 70 kilometres from Bangalore. To reach this serene destination, travellers embark on a route leading towards Mysore, followed by a deviation at Bidadi. The journey by road typically spans around 2 hours, offering a pleasant and accessible retreat from the bustling city life.
Food at Chiguru Farm
Chiguru Farm offers a delectable culinary experience featuring authentic village fare, blending the flavours of Uttara Karnataka and Bangalore cuisines. We savoured mouthwatering delicacies such as Obattu, Jolada Rotti (millet bread), Palya (vegetable dish), and various flavorful chutneys during our visit. The eco-conscious approach made the dining experience even more delightful, with dishes served on eco-friendly plates crafted from branches and leaves sourced directly from the farm.
Activities In and Around Chiguru Farm
Highlight: Stars, Satellites and Planets Gazing
A standout feature of the farm is its star gazing and astrophotography workshops, led by Vijay Kapoor, the founder of Bangalore Astronomy Club.
Although there wasn’t a formal workshop during our visit, the stargazing event proved to be an awe-inspiring experience. Vijay expertly arranged two telescopes, including the Meade LX200 ACF -14″ f/10 OTA and Explore Scientific ED127CF f/7.5 AS Triplet APO OTA, at the heart of the camping area. This provided us with a remarkable opportunity to observe many celestial wonders, from stunning stars and planets like Venus and the Moon to mesmerizing sights such as Sunspots, M45, Sirius, Onion Nebula, and Betelgeuse.
While Vijay meticulously set up the telescopes and guests took turns marvelling at the cosmos, my friend and I seized the chance to capture the brilliance of the stars through our camera lens, experimenting with different settings and techniques.
Try Your Hand at Pottery and Make Your Pot
Another delightful activity is crafting your pottery, a memorable souvenir to cherish from your visit. While pottery may appear straightforward, I discovered firsthand that it demands patience and concentration to master the art of shaping even a small pot.
Take a Farm Tour and Taste Fresh Vegetables and Fruits
The farm offers guided tours led by the owner, Raghu, who personally showcases the diverse sections of the property. Among the highlights is the food forest, a lush area where trees bear fruits and veggies accessible to birds, animals, and visitors alike. During our visit, we enjoyed plucking and savouring fresh figs straight from the tree, relishing the taste of organic goodness.
Also, Read Akshayakalpa Farm
The farm practices natural farming methods, eschewing chemicals for natural pesticides and manure. This approach, rooted in traditional techniques, epitomizes organic farming at its finest, ensuring the cultivation of wholesome produce without harmful chemicals.
Play with Dogs, Cats and Other Farm Animals
The farm is a haven for various animals, from a charming calf to an adorable pup. Guests have the delightful opportunity to interact with these friendly creatures, each of whom welcomes your company with warmth and affection. However, a word of caution: Champ, the dog, and the playful puppy have a particular fondness for jackfruits. Beware, as they may employ their irresistible charm to coax you into sharing some of this delectable treat with them.
Go Bird Watching and Monkey Spotting
The farm’s abundance of trees and plants serves as a natural magnet for a diverse array of bird species. During my visit, I enjoyed observing numerous Indian rollers and bee-eaters flitting about the premises. Raghu also shared with us that the farm is home to a sizable population of monkeys, adding to the vibrant ecosystem of the area.
Play Local Village Games
The common area adjacent to the courtyard is adorned with board and local games, evoking nostalgic memories of childhood days. I felt wistful as I watched the Alugulimane game, a beloved native pastime hailing from South India.
See the 150-Year-Old Banyan Tree
A standout attraction of the property is the majestic 150-year-old Banyan tree, situated near the entrance of the main building. This ancient tree provides an ideal spot to unwind and relax in the afternoon, basking in the soothing shade it generously offers.
During our visit, Raghu shared a fascinating anecdote about the origins of the Banyan tree’s name. According to him, the name originated from the Europeans who observed Indian traders, known as Baniyas, frequently congregating beneath its sprawling branches. Consequently, the tree became known as the “Baniyas tree,” eventually evolving into the term we now recognize as the “Banyan tree.”
Visit the Nearby Ancient Shiva Temple
Adjacent to the farm lies the ancient temple honouring Sree Omkareshwara Swamy, revered as an incarnation of Lord Shiva. With its origins tracing back over 1000 years, the temple complex boasts intricate stone inscriptions, embodying centuries of history and tradition.
A brief stroll from the farm leads to this sacred site, where devotees can offer their prayers and seek blessings. The temple welcomes visitors in the mornings until around 9:30 to 10 AM, providing a serene setting for spiritual contemplation and reverence.
Package at Chiguru Farm
The weekend getaway begins promptly at 1 PM on Saturday, offering guests an immersive experience that concludes at 10 AM on Sunday, encompassing a delightful overnight stay at the farm.
- Lunch: Indulge in a delectable spread of authentic local Kannada cuisine crafted with farm-fresh vegetables and lentils.
- Indoor Games and Activities: Post-lunch, immerse yourself in engaging pottery sessions and Solar astronomy workshops.
- Pitch Tents: As the afternoon unfolds, set up your tents in anticipation of the evening ahead, surrounded by the serene beauty of the farm.
- Sunset: Venture to the designated sunset point and behold the breathtaking spectacle as the sun dips below the horizon.
- Astronomy Session: Delve into the mysteries of the cosmos with enlightening astronomy lessons, followed by stargazing opportunities to observe planets, nebulas, star clusters, and more through telescopic lenses.
- Dinner: Savour another delightful dinner under the starlit sky, accompanied by the tranquil ambience of the farm.
- Star Gazing and Night Sky Sessions: After dinner, deepen your understanding of celestial phenomena during captivating night sky sessions, where you’ll explore the universe’s wonders through guided observation and insightful discussions.
- Early Morning Star Gazing and Sunrise: Begin your day with enchanting views of the starry sky and the mesmerizing Milky Way, followed by the magical spectacle of the sunrise.
- Farm Tour: Savor a refreshing cup of tea or coffee before embarking on a guided tour of the farm. Explore the lush surroundings and gain insights into the diverse fruits and vegetables cultivated on the farm.
- Pack Tents: Before indulging in a hearty breakfast, take the time to dismantle and pack up your tents, preparing for the day ahead.
- Breakfast: Delight in a sumptuous spread of local delicacies, showcasing the region’s flavours.
- Bid Goodbye: Depart from the farm, bidding farewell to the tranquil oasis and carrying cherished memories of your stay amidst nature’s embrace.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Chiguru Farm
Q: How far is Chiguru Farm from Bangalore?
Chiguru Farm is around 70 kilometres from Bangalore and is situated in Kanakpura district. It takes a little over 2 hours by road.
Q: What kind of accommodation options are available at Chiguru Farm?
There are four stay options:
- Two rooms with attached toilets.
- Container room with attached toilet.
- Tent like room.
- Camping options.
Q: How do I book my stay at Chiguru Farm?
Booking is required for stays at Chiguru Farm, as walk-ins are not encouraged by Raghu. To secure your reservation, you can reach out via their Facebook page or contact Raghu directly by calling +91 98452 58575.
Q: How much does it cost to stay at Chiguru Farm?
Below are the rates of the stay options:
- Note: Do contact Raghu for updated information on prices and availability.
|Price per adult
|Price per child (> 5 years)
|Tent like room
Q: What are the activities that I can do at Chiguru Farm?
At the farm, you’ll find a plethora of engaging activities to enjoy:
- Interact with farm animals.
- Try your hand at pottery-making.
- Revisit your childhood with indoor games.
- Embark on mesmerizing stargazing adventures, marvelling at billions of stars.
- Expand your knowledge with astrophotography lessons.
- And so much more awaits to be explored!
Q: What is the food that is served at Chiguru Farm?
At Chiguru Farm, indulge in the flavours of authentic village cuisine prepared by local villagers. Delight your taste buds with delicious and flavorful dishes crafted with care and tradition. Only vegetarian food is served at the farm, ensuring a wholesome and fulfilling dining experience.
Q: What are the things that I can buy at Chiguru Farm?
Explore various locally sourced products at Chiguru Farm, including cold-pressed coconut oil, papads (crackers), flour, and more. These items are offered at reasonable prices, allowing you to take home a taste of the farm’s wholesome goodness.
Q: Do they allow pets at Chiguru Farm?
Absolutely! Chiguru Farm welcomes pets so that you can bring your furry companions for a weekend getaway at the farm.
Q: Are unmarried couples allowed at Chiguru Farm?
Yes, unmarried couples are allowed at Chiguru Farm.
Q: How do I book the star gazing events?
You can contact Vijay Kapoor directly on the Bangalore Astronomy Club Facebook group or Raghu.
Is Staying at Chiguru Farm Safe for Solo Female Travellers?
Without a doubt! Chiguru Farm provides a safe and welcoming environment for solo female travellers. Raghu and the attentive staff prioritize guest safety and well-being. However, it’s essential to exercise caution while exploring the farm, as it is home to various wildlife, including snakes.
I had a wonderful time at Chiguru Farm, and it was the perfect weekend getaway. If you’re seeking a tranquil retreat away from the hustle and bustle of Bangalore city, look no further than Chiguru Farm.
Note: This post is a collaboration with Chiguru Farm. However, the views and opinions shared are honest and unbiased.
How can you support me?
You know how much I love coffee, so you can buy me a coffee – Buy me Coffee!
Or you can purchase from one of the below travel resources without any extra charge to you:
Book your flight on Skyscanner.com or Trip.com
Reserve your accommodation on Stay22
Reserve your stay at a hostel on HostelWorld
Use RentalCars or DiscoverCars for hiring self-driven cars
Book your tours and travels or purchase tickets on Viator or GetYourGuide
For a universal SIM card, use DrimSim
Buy comprehensive travel insurance on SafetyWing and WorldNomads
Do you have a question? Do you want any suggestions and tips for travel, hikes, and scuba dives? Use the Subscription box below to sign up and get updates by email.