Did you know that Karnataka boasts its very own island resort? That’s right, you don’t have to jet off to the Maldives to enjoy the luxury of an island getaway. Cintacor Island Resort in Karwar offers a unique and unforgettable experience in our beautiful country. Recently, my fellow travel blogger and I embarked on a journey to this hidden gem, seeking a taste of island life. Our stay surpassed all expectations and was one of my most memorable experiences in India.
Following an exhilarating scuba diving excursion at Netrani Island, my friend and I set off for Cintacor Island Resort, eager to continue our adventure in paradise.
PIN for later reference – Things To Do at Cintacor Island Resort
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to purchase via my links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. For complete information, please see our affiliate disclaimer here.
About Cintacor Island Resort
Established in 2016, Cintacor Island Resort graces the shores of Kurumgad Island in the Arabian Sea. Its name, “Cintacor,” originates from the ancient Portuguese term “Cintacora,” which is synonymous with Karwar.
Situated just off the coast of Karwar, this resort epitomizes luxury and offers an ideal escape for those seeking tranquillity and indulgence.
Since its inception in 2016, Cintacor Island Resort has been a premier destination on Kurumgad Island in the Arabian Sea. The name “Cintacor” refers to the Portuguese era, referencing Karwar. Nestled off the shores of Karwar, this resort embodies luxury, offering guests the ultimate luxurious retreat.
Bookings and Cost for Staying at Cintacor Island Resort
To reserve a room at Cintacor Island Resort, visit the Agoda website. The cost of a deluxe cabin, as depicted in the pictures below, is approximately INR 18,000, excluding taxes. Our booking experience was seamless, and communication with the resort was hassle-free, with no reported issues.
- Boat transportation between Karwar and the island.
- Room fees.
- Complimentary breakfast.
- Access to the Infinity pool, private beach, indoor games, and temple.
- Guided nature trail.
Extras (additional charges apply):
- Meals other than breakfast.
- Water sports activities like kayaking and jet ski rides.
- Cocktails and mocktails.
- Cold coffees and other beverages.
Pros and Cons About Staying at Cintacor Island Resort
The resort is truly remarkable and stands out as a unique gem. In my experience, the pros outweigh the cons.
- The booking process was straightforward and effortless.
- Every staff member we encountered was friendly and approachable; no one displayed rudeness.
- The boat ride to the island was both comfortable and scenic.
- Check-in was a breeze, and the staff gave us a thorough briefing about the island and resort facilities.
- Our room and bathroom were impeccably clean and well-maintained.
- The balcony offered breathtaking views that left us in awe.
- The island boasts its private beach, adding to its allure.
- I appreciated how the resort has preserved the natural surroundings, with many trees still standing.
- Notably, the island’s temple remains accessible to local Karwar residents.
- The food was simply outstanding, with the pasta being a particular highlight.
If I had to point out a downside, it would be the high cost of the room relative to the inclusions offered.
7 Things To Do at Cintacor Island Resort
Swim in the Infinity Pool
Picture yourself swimming in a pool nestled beside the vast blue expanse of the ocean. This Infinity pool offers uninterrupted sea vistas, creating a truly mesmerizing experience. With a depth of approximately 4 to 5 feet, this pool is stunning and one of my favourites on the island. Sunset views from the Infinity pool are unparalleled, making it the ultimate spot to unwind.
- Access to the Infinity pool is included in the room package.
- Remember to don your swimwear before taking a dip.
- Please shower before entering the pool for hygiene purposes.
Walk the Nature Trail
Every day at 7:30 AM, guests are treated to a guided walk known as the nature trail. This trail offers a captivating journey around the island, led by a knowledgeable staff member. Along the way, visitors are introduced to the island’s diverse flora, viewpoints, and remnants of the fort’s ruins. The trail boasts picturesque vistas of the ocean and nearby islands, and it even meanders through the historic camping tents once used by visitors.
- Ensure you wear comfortable footwear for the walk.
- Exercise caution and remain vigilant of wildlife during your stroll.
- Take care near the edges of the trail for your safety.
Kayak in the Ocean
Kayaking in the ocean is undoubtedly one of my favourite activities. There’s something incredibly serene about paddling through warm, clear waters. On the island, kayaking with a guide offers visitors the perfect opportunity to unwind and connect with nature. The experience involves a single kayak, allowing guests to enjoy half an hour of tranquil exploration.
- Please note that kayaking is not included in the room package.
- The cost is approximately INR 400 per person, excluding taxes.
Play on their Private Beach
As a water enthusiast, there’s nothing quite like indulging in the tranquillity of a private beach. Located just a 10-minute stroll downhill from the room and reception area, the island boasts a serene spot known as Water on the Rocks beach. It’s the perfect oasis for relishing peaceful mornings surrounded by nature’s beauty.
- Be mindful of the abundance of crabs inhabiting the area.
- Heed the guidance of the security personnel, as they were knowledgeable about any potentially hazardous areas among the rocks.
Pay Your Respects at Narasimha Swamy Temple
As previously mentioned, the island is home to a temple dedicated to Narasimha Swamy. Situated just a short ascent (around 30 to 40 steps) uphill from the private beach, this temple features images of the deity but does not have a resident priest.
- Visiting the temple is included in the room package.
- Please remove your shoes before entering the temple premises.
- Exercise caution in the vicinity, as wildlife may be present, such as the green snake I encountered on one of the steps.
Every January, the resort observes a two-day closure as locals from Karwar visit the temple to partake in rituals and offer prayers. This village festival, known as Ooru Habba in Kannada, holds significance for the community. The Narasimha Swamy idol, crafted from diamonds, is ceremoniously transported to this temple for the occasion.
Spot the Wildlife
If you share my passion for wildlife, you’ll find this resort an absolute paradise. I’ve lost count of the hours I’ve spent mesmerized by the beach, observing crabs in their undisturbed natural habitat. The island’s preservation commitment ensures that wildlife and nature thrive harmoniously. During my walks, I was fortunate to catch glimpses of a majestic sea eagle with its impressive prey—a snake—and even encountered a striking green snake. These moments were undoubtedly the highlights of my stay.
Chill at the Bar, Sipping Cocktails
No holiday is complete without unwinding at the bar with a refreshing cocktail. Fortunately, the resort boasts an in-house bar where guests can indulge in cocktails and mocktails.
How to Get to Cintacor Island Resort?
Cintacor Island Resort is exclusively accessible via boat, offering a serene journey approximately 20 minutes from Karwar. The boat ride is conveniently included in the resort package, ensuring a seamless arrival experience. Guests are instructed to assemble at a designated location and promptly greeted and transported to the resort by our attentive staff.
- To reach the boat pickup point from Karwar City, hop on an auto rickshaw for a quick and affordable ride, typically costing around INR 70.
Is Cintacor Island Safe for Solo Female Travellers?
Absolutely! The staff at the island resort are amiable and hospitable. Undoubtedly, it ranks among the safest accommodations I’ve experienced in India, making it an ideal choice for solo female travellers. However, it’s essential to exercise caution when walking around the island, especially at night, due to the presence of wildlife, including tree snakes.
If you’re new to solo travelling or have questions and concerns, check out our frequently asked questions section dedicated to solo travel. It’s a valuable resource for gaining insights and addressing any uncertainties about embarking on solo adventures.
I yearn to return to this paradise and extend my stay for a few more blissful days. From the moment of boat pickup to the final drop-off, every aspect of the experience was extraordinary, and I cherished every moment.
How can you support me?
You know how much I love coffee, so you can buy me a coffee – Buy me Coffee!
Or you can purchase from one of the below travel resources without any extra charge to you:
Book your flight on Skyscanner.com or Trip.com
Reserve your accommodation on Stay22
Reserve your stay at a hostel on HostelWorld
Use RentalCars or DiscoverCars for hiring self-driven cars
Book your tours and travels or purchase tickets on Viator or GetYourGuide
For a universal SIM card, use DrimSim
Buy comprehensive travel insurance on SafetyWing and WorldNomads
Do you have a question? Do you want any suggestions and tips for travel, hikes, and scuba dives? Use the Subscription box below to sign up and get updates by email.