Hike to Mt Bishop summit in Wilsons Prom National Park
Mt Bishop Summit walk is one of the very few walks or hikes I have done in Victoria state of Australia. Even though it is a steep walk to the summit, hiking Mt Bishop is totally worth it. The views are spectacular and breathtaking from the summit.
Wilsons Promontory National Park
Wilsons Prom National Park is known for its beautiful granite mountains and amazing wildlife. The national park is on a peninsula, 3 hours south of Melbourne.
- There is an entry fee of AUD 9 per vehicle to get into the national park.
- There are brochures and maps at the Parks Victoria Information Office.
- The best time to visit Wilsons Prom National Park is in spring and summer (between the months of October and December) seasons.
- One can camp and stay at the Wilsons Prom national park.
- There is a visitor centre at Tidal River Visitor Centre between 9 AM and 4 PM everyday.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thank you for your support.
Mt Bishop is one of the mountains in Wilsons Prom National Park. The mountain is 320 metres high and provides a panoramic views of the national park and the coast.
How to get the starting point?
- Public transport: Unfortunately, none.
- Driving: The only way to get to the starting point of the hike which is the Lilly Pilly Gully Car park is by driving. The distance between Melbourne Central Business District (CBD) and Lilly Pilly Gully car park is around 220 kilometres (about 3 hours drive).
- The route has toll roads.
- There are plenty of parking spaces at the car park.
Tour agency from Melbourne
I had taken a day tour with a tour agency to go to the Mt Bishop in Wilsons Prom. The tour was from the Federation Square to Lilly Pilly Gully car park and return. The tour also included the guided walk to the summit and the entry fee into the park.
Hike to Mt Bishop Summit
As I mentioned before, the steep and narrow track to Mt Bishop summit in Wilsons Promontory National Park is definitely worth hiking. The hike is challenging but is one of the best hikes in Wilsons Prom. The views are stunning from the summit.
** Did you know you can purchase 100% Australian made body and health related products from home? Visit Love your health website today! **
Logistics of the Mt Bishop summit track
- Starting point: Lilly Pilly Gully Car park.
- Ending point: Lilly Pilly Gully Car park.
- Type of walk: Return.
- Distance: 3.7 kilometres one way.
- Time required: 1.5 – 2 hours one way.
- Grade: Moderate to Hard.
- Look out for abundant wildlife. This is also the best place to see the kangaroos in the wild.
Safety for solo female travelers
The Wilsons Prom National Park and the Mt Bishop Summit track are safe for solo female travelers. The path is well marked and maintained. However, as a general rule while hiking it is always best to go with a hiking buddy just for any unforeseen situations. Also, beware of the wildlife while hiking on the track.
I loved hiking to the summit of Mt Bishop. The trail and the views were very pretty and I enjoyed hiking the trail. I suggest visiting Wilsons Prom National Park when visiting Melbourne and if you have sometime.