Mt Bishop Summit walk is one of the very few walks or hikes I have done in Victoria state of Australia. Even though it is a steep walk to the summit, hiking Mt Bishop is totally worth it as the views are spectacular and breathtaking from the summit.
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to purchase via my links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. For complete information, please see our affiliate disclaimer here.
- The prices mentioned in the post are valid only at the time of publication. Ensure that you check the booking websites for up-to-date information and prices.
- Opinions and views expressed solely by me are unbiased. If the post is a collaboration, then they are specifically mentioned.
- Ensure that you check the relevant websites for up-to-date information on COVID protocols.
- For any adventurous activities, please note that there is a risk that can be dangerous. Ensure you read the terms and conditions recommended by individual agencies and do them at your own risk.
- For visas, it is best to see the embassy website for changing rules.
- While using the recommended guides, auto-drivers or taxi drivers, do your due diligence and trust your judgement.
About Wilsons Promontory National Park
Wilsons Prom National Park is known for its beautiful granite mountains and amazing wildlife. The national park is on a peninsula, 3 hours south of Melbourne. As it is around 3 hours from Melbourne, you can either do this as a one-day or a weekend trip.
- There is an entry fee of AUD 9 per vehicle to get into the national park.
- There are brochures and maps at the Parks Victoria Information Office.
- The best time to visit Wilsons Prom National Park is in the spring and summer (between the months of October and December) seasons.
- You can camp and stay at the Wilsons Prom National Park.
- There is a visitor centre at Tidal River Visitor Centre between 9 AM and 4 PM every day.
About Mt Bishop
Mt Bishop is one of the mountains in Wilsons Prom National Park. With a height of 320 metres above sea level, the mountain provides panoramic views of the national park and the coastline.
How to get the starting point – Lilly Pilly Gully Car Park?
- By Public transport: Unfortunately, there is no public transport to get to the hike’s starting point.
- By Road: The only way to get to the hike’s starting point at Lilly Pilly Gully Car Park is by driving. The distance between Melbourne Central Business District (CBD) and Lilly Pilly Gully car park is around 220 kilometres, and by road, the journey takes about 3 hours.
- The route has toll roads.
- There are plenty of parking spaces in the car park.
In Australia, you can hire a car easily in the city and at airports. All you require is a valid driver’s license (in the English language) and a credit card to secure your deposit. I think that is the best way to travel as you don’t have to rely on public transport or taxis.
Tour agency from Melbourne
I had taken a day tour with a tour agency to go to the Mt Bishop in Wilsons Prom. The tour was booked on the GetYourGuide website, and the pickup was from Federation Square. The tour included transportation from Melbourne, a guided walk to the summit, and the entry fee into the park.
Mt Bishop Summit Hike
The hike is challenging but is one of the best hikes in Wilsons Prom. And the views from the summit are stunning. As I mentioned before, the steep and narrow track to Mt Bishop Summit in Wilsons Promontory National Park is definitely worth hiking.
Logistics of the Mt Bishop Summit hike
- Starting point: Lilly Pilly Gully Car Park.
- Ending point: Lilly Pilly Gully Car Park.
- Type of walk: Return.
- Distance: 3.7 kilometres one way.
- Time required: 1.5 – 2 hours one way.
- Grade: Moderate to Hard.
- Look out for abundant wildlife. This is also the best place to see the kangaroos in the wild.
Safety for solo female travelers
The Wilsons Prom National Park and the Mt Bishop Summit track are safe for solo female travelers. The path is well-marked and maintained. However, as a general rule, while hiking, it is always best to go with a hiking buddy just for any unforeseen situations. Also, beware of the wildlife while hiking on the track.
I loved hiking to the summit of Mt Bishop. The trail and the views were very pretty, and I enjoyed hiking it. If you are looking for beautiful outdoors away from Melbourne City, then Wilsons Prom National Park is surely the place to be.
How can you support me?
You know how much I love coffee, so you can buy me a coffee – Buy me Coffee!
Or you can purchase from one of the below travel resources without any extra charge to you:
Book your flight on Skyscanner.com or Trip.com
Reserve your accommodation on Stay22
Reserve your stay at a hostel on HostelWorld
Use RentalCars or DiscoverCars for hiring self-driven cars
Book your tours and travels or purchase tickets on Viator or GetYourGuide
For a universal SIM card, use DrimSim
Buy comprehensive travel insurance on SafetyWing and WorldNomads
Do you have a question? Do you want any suggestions and tips for travel, hikes, and scuba dives? Use the Subscription box below to sign up and get updates by email.