One of the initial walks I did when in Melbourne was the Upper Yarra Goldfields Circuit walk. Back then I was very lazy and I never used to hike. Because of which, this hike was surely hard for me. I had to start somewhere and hence I had joined the groups on meetup and this walk was organised by one of the groups.
Are you new to hiking or do you not know where to start your hiking journey? Read Beginner’s guide to hiking and trekking.
PIN for later reference
About Upper Yarra Goldfields circuit walk
The Upper Yarra Goldfields Circuit walk is a very pretty walk in the in the Yarra ranges national park and McMohans creek area of Victoria state in Australia. The walk goes through many creeks and bushes and is a perfect bush walk.
Be careful of the leeches especially when it is raining.
How to get to the starting point?
- Public transport: Warburton is the place to start the hike when using the public transport. There is a bus from Lilydale station to Warburton, which is the closest town. And there are frequent trains between Flinders street and Lilydale station.
- Up to date information can be found on the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) website.
- By Road: Driving is the convenient option and the Little Peninsula Tunnel car park is about 90 kilometres from Melbourne Central Business District (CBD).
Are you looking for things to do in Melbourne, then read 9 things to do in Melbourne city.
Logistics of the hike
Below is the logistics of the hike:
- Starting point: Little Peninsula Tunnel car park (if going by car) or Warburton (if going by public transport).
- Ending point: Little Peninsula Tunnel car park or Warburton.
- Type of walk: Circuit.
- Distance: 12.9 kilometres.
- Time required: 5 hours.
- Grade: Moderate to Hard. Certain sections of the hike is very steep.
Safety for solo female travelers
As a general rule, it is always advisable to have a hiking buddy while hiking or trekking. This is to make sure you are prepared for any unforeseen situations.
Download Emergency Plus app on your phone before going for hikes or treks. The app does not require mobile network and lets you know the exact coordinates of you location. This way you can be ready for any uncalled scenarios.
The Upper Yarra Goldfields Circuit walk is one of the best walks in Victoria. The trail and the views along the trail is stunning. I highly recommend this hike.
PIN for later reference
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thank you for your support.