A must visit place when visiting Port Blair is Chidiya Tapu. It is a place to see the spectacular sunset on the island. I visited this place when I was in Andaman and Nicobar islands the first time around, with my mother. And it surely was one of the prettiest places I saw during my trip.
PIN for later reference
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to purchase via my links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. For complete information, please see our affiliate disclaimer here.
- The prices mentioned in the post are valid only at the time of publication. Ensure that you check the booking websites for up-to-date information and prices.
- Opinions and views expressed solely by me are unbiased. If the post is a collaboration, then they are specifically mentioned.
- Ensure that you check the relevant websites for up-to-date information on COVID protocols.
- For any adventurous activities, please note that there is a risk that can be dangerous. Ensure you read the terms and conditions recommended by individual agencies and do them at your own risk.
- For visas, it is best to see the embassy website for changing rules.
- While using the recommended guides, auto-drivers or taxi drivers, do your due diligence and trust your judgement.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Resources
For Best Hotel Deals in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, use Booking.com or Goibibo
For Hostels in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, use HostelWorld
Use Skyscanner or Trip.com to get affordable flight tickets to Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Viator and GetYourGuide are your best tour operators
Rentalcars and Discover cars are the best agencies to rent out cars at lowest prices
For comprehensive travel insurance, use SafetyWing or WorldNomads
One Week in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Travel Guide to Havelock Island
Scuba Diving in Havelock Island
Travel Guide to Neil Island
Scuba Diving in Neil Island
Plan Your Visit to Chidiya Tapu
One Day Trip to Baratang Island
One Day Trip to Ross Island from Port Blair
Never Forgotten Tales of Cellular Jail
One Day Trip to Jolly Buoy Island from Port Blair
Reasons To Skip North Bay Island
About Chidiya Tapu
Situated in the southern tip of South Andaman, Chidiya Tapu is covered with dense forests, especially mangrove trees. It is one of the most popular places in Andaman islands as it is close to Port Blair and a lovely place to see the glorious sunset. Chidiya in Hindi means bird and as the name suggests Chidiya Tapu is a place to spot Andaman islands’ local birds.
Established in 2001, the Chidiya Tapu biological park was set up to conserve the flora and fauna on the island. There is an entrance fee of INR 20 per person and INR 10 per child to enter the biological park and the park is open between 6 AM and 7 PM. The best time to visit the Chidiya Tapu is either in the morning or during sunset. Also, be careful of the crocodiles, snakes and jelly fishes. There are signs everywhere that display where to go and where not to.
How to Get to Chidiya Tapu?
Chidiya Tapu is around 30 kilometres from Port Blair and by road, the journey takes about 30 minutes. The best way to visit Chidiya Tapu is by hiring a taxi or a bike. We hired a taxi that was suggested by our hotel and it cost us around INR 500 for a few hours.
Things to Do at Chidiya Tapu
Even though Chidiya Tapu is very famous for its sunset, there are still other things one can do while visiting the area. You need at least 2 to 3 hours. A few of them include:
- Hike the Munda Pahad mountain. The hike is an easy hike and usually takes less than one hour. If you are planning to do the hike, make sure to visit Chidiya Tapu in the morning.
Ensure to hire a local guide for hiking as they know the area best.
- Visit the Munda Pahad beach. The beach is one of the beautiful beaches in Andaman islands.
- Spot the local indigenous birds. Ensure to take your camera to capture some of the colourful birds. Unfortunately, I did not see too many birds during my visit.
- Scuba diving and snorkeling. I have not dived in Chidiya Tapu but I scuba dived in Neil and Havelock islands.
There were no toilet facilities when I visited Chidiya Tapu a few years ago. I am not sure if this has changed now.
Safety for solo female travelers
Even though I traveled with my mom and not alone, I felt Andaman islands in general was very safe, including the solo female travelers. I never had any issues whatsoever and all the people I interacted were very friendly and warm.
However, like any other place in the world, be cautious and know your surroundings, especially at nights and at isolated places. Also, Andaman islands are known for crocodiles, so be careful as to where you go and step.
Are you new to solo traveling? Do you have questions about solo traveling? Read frequently asked questions for solo traveling.
If you have time in Port Blair, I highly recommend visiting Chidiya Tapu. It is truly one of the beautiful places around the island and a lovely place to catch sunset. But if you do not have sufficient days on your vacation, then you can skip visiting Chidiya Tapu as there are other islands that are truly amazing and breath-taking.
Have you visited Chidiya Tapu? Let me know in the comments below.
How can you support me?
You know how much I love coffee, so you can buy me a coffee – Buy me Coffee!
Or you can purchase from one of the below travel resources without any extra charge to you:
Book your flight on Skyscanner.com or Trip.com
Reserve your accommodation on Stay22
Reserve your stay at a hostel on HostelWorld
Use RentalCars or DiscoverCars for hiring self-driven cars
Book your tours and travels or purchase tickets on Viator or GetYourGuide
For a universal SIM card, use DrimSim
Buy comprehensive travel insurance on SafetyWing and WorldNomads
Do you have a question? Do you want any suggestions and tips for travel, hikes, and scuba dives? Use the Subscription box below to sign up and get updates by email.